Charity and Community - Athletic Edge Sports Medicine
AESM’s Charity and Community Commitment
At AESM, we are committed to enriching the lives of our clients and community. We believe that, in order to truly make a positive impact on the people around us, we must concentrate on four key areas: Learning, Teaching, Sharing and Giving.
Learning: Why and How
The entire AESM team is dedicated to providing you with the most advanced and all encompassing care possible. We constantly educate and re-educate ourselves to ensure that we are the leaders in our field and your most reliable source of information.
We do this through a variety of methods.
- The AESM team meets monthly for interdisciplinary rounds, to discuss current issues in sports medicine, to review up to date research, and to share best practices.
- Our experts read and discuss the latest literature from journals including the Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine, Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise, the Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physiotherapy and others.
- AESM has created financial support programs to ensure the entire team will participate in ongoing education, including several assessment and treatment methods instead of one narrow field.
Teaching: Why and How
At AESM, we are highly motivated to educate and promote the talent of young professionals who are passionate about the field of sports medicine. It is the young minds of today who will be making major breakthroughs tomorrow, but they cannot do that without a solid foundation. It is our goal to provide that foundation through a variety of avenues.
- Dr. Grant Lum teaches residents in Family Medicine at U of T, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Family Medicine. He helps enhance and advance student’s skills in the management of sports related illnesses and injuries. He has been teaching at U of T since his days as an emergency room physician in 1994.
- Physiotherapists in the AESM clinic take physiotherapy interns for placements from the U of T, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Rehabilitation Science. Several of our physiotherapists also teach advanced orthopaedic examination labs at the university.
- Dr. Grant Lum is the Medical Director of the George Brown College – Fitness and Lifestyle Management Program. He sits on the curriculum committee, and also has input on program direction.
- Our fitness professionals accept students from George Brown College – Fitness and Lifestyle Management Program. for co-op placements, to give them insight into the role of the fitness professional in the rehabilitation setting.
- Our athletic therapists accept students from York University and Sheridan College – Athletic Therapy Programs on placement to help them enhance their skills in treating patients with athletic injuries.
- Dr. Grant Lum is an Adjunct Professor with York University – Faculty of Fine Arts, Department of Dance, helping to take care of the Dance Program’s students and faculty.
Sharing: Why and How
We are committed to sharing our advanced sports medicine knowledge with the general public. We feel that this will prevent problematic sports injuries and activity related injuries. We also endeavour to promote a healthy and active lifestyle, so people can continue playing well past childhood. We spread our messages of health and wellness through several avenues.
- Dr. Lum is currently the sports medicine expert blogging for CTV news.
- Dr. Lum also contributes regularly to The Weather Network. His articles discuss the link between weather and health.
- Dr. Lum has appeared many times in print, on radio and on television, such as Canadian Press, The Toronto Star, The Globe and Mail, The Medical Post, Healthwatch Magazine, and Healthwise Magazine. He has appeared on: Life Network – Diagnosis MD, TSN – Off The Record, CTV – The Chatroom, Balance TV, The Score, and CBC and CTV News.
Giving: Why and How
At AESM, we feel that we have a responsibility to our community. It is our goal to make a positive impact on the lives of the people who surround us, even those whom we have not yet met. This is why we participate in a variety of programs community and education programs, such as:
- Lum Family Scholarship at U of T faculty of medicine
- Lum Family Scholarship at University of Toronto Schools
- Kids Help Phone